PLEASE NOTE: This event has already occurred.
Lincoln Hall Theater
The Vietnamese Student Association at UIUC presents this year’s Vietnamese Culture Night: “I Am Vietnamese.” Afterwards, have some Vietnamese food with us! As always, the show and food are FREE.
Vietnamese Culture Night is meant to showcase the unique Vietnamese-American experience through culture, history, and advocacy. Watch us dance and act in the production that we’ve been working on all semester. This year’s show focuses on unraveling the notion of what it means to be a “good” Vietnamese-American.
“I Am Vietnamese” is a story about cultural identity in its different forms, highlighting different ways in which people can relate to Vietnamese culture.
Daniel and Olivia are two students at the University of Illinois who are, in some facet, considered Vietnamese-American. With the help of others, they slowly learn about the many different ways they can connect with their roots, using their heritage as a driving force instead of a restricting force.
• VSA Ribbon Dance choreographed by Christina Tran
• VSA Fan Dance choreographed by Nhuy Tran and Carol Lin
• VSA Lion Dance choreographed by Erik Khamphouy
• VSA Modern Dance choreographed by Grant Williams and Andrew Liang
• VSA Runway
• Skit Actors & Actresses directed by ViVien Bui
• Smol Instruments Band
• Other musical performances
The Vietnamese Student Association at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, (hereon, “VSA”) was established at the University of Illinois in 1983. VSA is an organization dedicated to promoting cultural awareness through a variety of events on campus and in the Urbana-Champaign community. VSA strives to establish a supportive environment for those of Vietnamese and non-Vietnamese descent to interact and engage in activities that preserve and appreciate the Vietnamese culture and heritage. VSA is open to everyone that is interested in learning or sharing the Vietnamese culture.
• Paid for by the Student Cultural Programming Fee
• Part sponsored by the Student Affairs Program Coordinating Council
• Paid for by the Student Organiation Resource Fund.
• Thanks to Alumnus Margaret Tran and her family for helping us make outfits for dancers.
• Thanks to Christina Tran for designing our beautiful event banner and other promotional materials!