Hunger can often be invisible. Help us ensure that no child goes hungry this summer.
We have a comprehensive list of places where you can find free meal distribution for kids in the communities of Champaign, Urbana, Rantoul and Mahomet while school is out
While many of us may spend the summer lazily snacking all day, the reality is that in our communities, hunger is a significant problem — especially among children. Many kids who rely on school meals struggle to get enough to eat during the summer months. And with prices soaring at the grocery store, food insecurity is a very real issue for many families as we head into the summer break.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture partners with local agencies nationwide to serve free meals to children during the summer months, also known as the Summer Food Program. Any child under age 18 is eligible for free meals; there are no restrictions or residency requirements. Some of the sites we list below are noted as Summer Food Program sites.
To locate a site near you, visit SummerMealsIllinois.org, call the Illinois Hunger Hotline at (800) 359-2163 or text FoodIL to 877877. Se habla español. All locations may not be found on this map yet.
Champaign Unit 4 School District: Unit 4 is offering free meals to children and teens 18 and younger this summer through the Summer Meal Program. According to the USDA Food and Nutrition Service, the following location, dates and times are applicable. (The Unit 4 website as of publication does not contain information.)
Central High School: June 4-July 12, breakfast 8:30-10:15 a.m., lunch 11:15 a.m.-12:45 p.m.
Stratton Elementary: June 4-July 6, breakfast 8:30-9 a.m., lunch 10:50-11:30 a.m.
Franklin Middle School: June 4-July 12, breakfast 8-9 a.m., lunch 11 a.m.-noon
Washington Elementary: June 4-July 13, breakfast 8-8:30 a.m., lunch 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Dr. Howard Elementary: June 4-July 26, breakfast 8-8:30 a.m., lunch noon-1 p.m.
Bottenfield Elementary: June 11-July 20, breakfast 8-8:30 a.m., lunch 11:45 a.m.-12:15 p.m.
International Prep Academy: July 9-Aug. 2, AM snack time 9-9:30 a.m., lunch 11-11:30 a.m.
Champaign Urbana Public Health District: CUPHD is offering meals at the following times at 201 W. Kenyon Road, Champaign: May 29-Aug. 10, breakfast 9-10:30 a.m., lunch 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. For more info call (217) 531-4300.
Urbana School District #116: USD 116 is offering free meals to children and teens 18 and younger this summer through the Summer Meal Program. The meals will be offered from June through the middle of July at various USD 116 locations, no registration needed. Breakfast and lunch will be served.
Meals will be available at the following locations at the following times:
June 5 – June 29, 2023 | Monday-Thursday (No meals Monday, June 19)
King Elementary, 1108 W. Fairview, Urbana
Breakfast: 8-9 a.m.
Lunch: 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Urbana Middle School, 1201 S. Vine, Urbana
Breakfast: 8-9:30 a.m.
Lunch: 12-12:30 p.m.
June 12 – June 29, 2023 | Monday-Thursday (No meals Monday, June 19)
Leal Elementary, 312 W. Oregon, Urbana
Breakfast: 8:30-8:45 a.m.
Lunch: 12:30-1 p.m.
June 5–July 13, 2023 | Monday-Thursday (No meals on June 19, July 3 and July 4)
Urbana High School, 1002 S. Race, Urbana
Breakfast: 7:30-8:30 a.m.
Lunch: 11:30 a.m.-12 p.m.
July 10 -July 14, 2023, Monday–Friday*
Leal School, 312 W. Oregon, Urbana
Breakfast: 9-9:30 a.m.
Lunch: 12:10-1 p.m.
All children meeting the age requirement will be provided with food regardless of summer school enrollment or home of record. Individuals 18 or older with a state-defined mental or physical disability will also be provided with free meals.
Candlewood Estates: Open to all children, free lunches in Mahomet will begin June 5, 11:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m, Monday through Friday. Lunch will be available to be picked up at the office of Candlewood Estates, 808 N. Prairieview Road by area church groups. Contact the office at Candlewood Estates with questions, (217) 586-4937.
Rantoul City Schools: Meals are available at J.W. Eater Junior High, Northview Elementary School and Broadmeadow Elementary School. In the past they have been for summer school students only. The Village of Rantoul Youth Center has also offered a meals program in recent years.
OTHER FOOD OPTIONS
Follow the Eastern Illinois Foodbank on Facebook to find the dates of where the Foodmobile will be and how to get registered for food distribution near you.
Is there a site in our area providing free summer meals to kids that we missed? Please email us and let us know so we can keep this post updated.
Get ready for summer in Champaign-Urbana:
- Summer Parades in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Champaign-Urbana Area Fourth of July FIREWORKS!
- Splash Pads Around Champaign-Urbana
- Beaches Within a Short Driving Distance of Champaign-Urbana
- Strawberry Picking Near Champaign-Urbana
- Summer Fun in Chicago: Free Days at the Best Museums
- Best Midwest Summer Road Trips for Champaign-Urbana Families
- How to Celebrate the Fourth of July in Champaign-Urbana
- 7 Great Summer Festivals in Central Illinois
- Champaign-Urbana Area Summer Reading Programs
- Champaign-Urbana Area Summer Fairs and Festivals
- 50+ Ways to Have Summer Fun on a Budget In and Around Champaign-Urbana
- Free and Cheap Outdoor Movies in Champaign-Urbana
- Swim Teams in Champaign-Urbana
- Outdoor Concerts in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Free Kids Movies Return to Savoy in Summer
- Visiting Champaign-Urbana Area Parks and Playgrounds with your Family
- Farmers Markets in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Summer Fun for Families in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Area Swimming Pools
- Things to Do for Teens (and Tweens) This Summer in Champaign-Urbana
- Fishing Fun for Families in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Where to Take Swim Lessons in Champaign-Urbana
- Season Pool Passes On Sale in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Summer Camps for Kids