5 Things to Do on Christmas Day in Champaign-Urbana
The gifts have all been opened, the food has been eaten, and you hear “I’M BORED.” You think: Wait, didn’t everyone just get new toys? Well, that may be so … but if they’ve been cooped up in the house, they may just need to stretch their legs and get a change of scenery.
Heck, we know we do.
Then there are many in the greater Champaign-Urbana community who are of different faiths, with other dates to celebrate during the winter holiday season. Whatever the case may be, we have some suggestions for what your family can do this Sunday, Dec. 25.
We put this list together of things and places to do, see, and go on Christmas Day in Champaign-Urbana and beyond, just for you:
- Take them to eat. If you’ve eaten your last bite of ham or turkey or just would like someone else to do the dishes, check out our list of places to eat in Champaign-Urbana on Christmas.
- Go to the movies, but plan ahead: be sure to buy tickets early. Movies tend to sell out on Christmas, especially the ones that are blockbusters (we are thinking of at least one that will fit in that category this year). Savoy 16 showings start around 11 a.m.
- Go bowling: Arrowhead Lanes in Champaign opened at 1 p.m. on Christmas Day last year; waiting to confirm this year but expecting the same. Regular fees apply.
- Take a drive to look at Christmas lights. This is one of our favorite things to do. At some places, like Candlestick Lane, you can park the car and walk the route (carefully, of course, as many cars will be around and there aren’t sidewalks). Our Amazing Christmas Lights around Champaign-Urbana list is a great place to start planning your journey.
- Take a Christmas hike or walk. A couple of our favorite places to stroll: Busey Woods and Meadowbrook Park. Here is a list of Champaign-Urbana area trails, check out a new one and create a new tradition. Or go to campus and walk around the Quad; there’s so much to see there. There’s even a couple of self-guided tours you can do via your smartphone.
- What did we miss?
Everything Holiday Season In and Around Champaign-Urbana
- How to Have a Family-Friendly New Year’s Eve in Champaign-Urbana
- 5 Things to Do on Christmas Day in Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Eat on Christmas in Champaign-Urbana
- A Beloved University of Illinois Tradition Sings On: Dial-A-Carol Goes Live Dec. 8
- Where to Order Holiday Meals and Treats in Champaign-Urbana
- Amazing Christmas Lights Around Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Home for the Holidays: Shopping and Eating Locally in Champaign-Urbana