Advent calendar day might as well be an event for devoted Aldi shoppers as they always sell out right away
This year boasts the biggest collection of calendars ever — more than two dozen
Have you ever heard about the frenzy at Aldi the day it releases holiday Advent calendars?
Well, we can confirm this is a thing and that it happens in Champaign-Urbana. In recent years, we know the wine calendar was completely sold out at all three Aldi stores in the area (Champaign, Urbana and Savoy) less than 60 minutes after opening.
What you need to know
Aldi has designated the first Wednesday in November as “National Advent Calendar Day.” That means that Advent calendar day will be Wednesday, Nov. 2.
What is an Advent calendar?
Advent calendars typically begin on Dec. 1 and mark the 24 days before Christmas. The tradition dates to the mid-19th century, but has evolved significantly — especially in recent years. In fact, this year, we know that Aldi will carry at least one Hanukkah-themed calendar marking the eight days of Hanukkah.
Where is Aldi located?
There are three Aldi stores in the Champaign-Urbana area. The stores in Urbana and Champaign are located, not by accident, right next to Walmart. The Savoy store is located off Dunlap Avenue, a few blocks south of Curtis Avenue.
What are the new procedures for “National Advent Calendar Day”?
All three of the Aldi stores in Champaign-Urbana open at 9 a.m., so conventional wisdom says that those wanting calendars should be in line at 8 a.m. for their best chance to get one. Remember, limited quantities are available and they are first come, first serve.
One important thing to note for customers who are interested in purchasing an alcohol Advent calendar (this year, those include wine, beer, and hard seltzer) or a cheese calendar: they will receive a ticket at the store entrance in the order they arrive at the store. Ticketing begins one full hour before the store opens.
Customers will redeem tickets for Advent calendars near the stock room entrance, NOT at the register where customers check out.
What am I going to get?
Aldi rolls out quite the selection of Advent calendars every year, and this year word on the internet is that once all is said and done, Aldi will have released over 35 calendars. This year’s choices includes some of the following “calendars”:
- Advent calendars for kids: crafts, Lego, Cocomelon, Marvel, chocolate, and more
- Advent calendars for pets: dog treats and cat treats
- coffee, cheese and assorted traditional chocolate
- new offerings like hot sauce, candles, and Hanukkah
- and of course, the grown-up Advent calendars like wine, beer and hard seltzer
A recent post-Halloween, pre-Advent calendar trip to the Savoy Aldi revealed plenty of open shelf space just waiting to be stocked with calendars.
Limits on calendar purchase
According to Aldi.com, the following calendars will be limited to two per person: Merry Moments My Friend Gnome Kit, Beer Advent Calendar, Holiday Magic Wine Advent Calendar and Hard Seltzer Advent Calendar.
There are no quantity limits on the remaining holiday Advent calendars. However, most Aldi stores only receive one shipment of this year’s calendars, and quantities are limited — so if you see it on the shelf, pick it up, as there probably aren’t any left in the back.
How much do they cost?
Aldi Advent calendars range in price from $1.49 (a traditional chocolate calendar) up to $59.99 for the wine calendar. An exciting thing to note this year: Aldi is rolling back prices on holiday items, including the wine advent calendar (down $10 from last year) to pre-pandemic pricing. Most calendars are in the $9.99-$14.99 range, with the boozy calendars being the most expensive. Prices can be found on the Aldi website.
Looking for more? Subscribe to our Home for the Holidays Newsletter. Want more ideas for holiday (or everyday) fun? Check out our Event Calendar.
Everything Holiday Season In and Around Champaign-Urbana
- How to Have a Family-Friendly New Year’s Eve in Champaign-Urbana
- 5 Things to Do on Christmas Day in Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Eat on Christmas in Champaign-Urbana
- A Beloved University of Illinois Tradition Sings On: Dial-A-Carol Goes Live Dec. 8
- Where to Order Holiday Meals and Treats in Champaign-Urbana
- Holiday Giving and Volunteering in Champaign-Urbana
- Amazing Christmas Lights Around Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Where to Find Santa Claus in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- All Aboard: Polar Express Fun (Beyond the Train) in Champaign-Urbana
- Meals with Santa Claus in Champaign-Urbana
- Holiday Lights at the Zoo: Where to Drive From Champaign-Urbana
- 50+ Experience Gift Ideas for Kids in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Holiday Bucket List: 35 Things To Do Before Christmas
- 10 Festive Indianapolis Destinations for a Family Holiday Getaway
- 8 Great Places to See Holiday Lights in Central Illinois
- Holiday Season Parades in and around Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Buy a Live Christmas Tree Near Champaign-Urbana
- Home for the Holidays: Shopping and Eating Locally in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Area Holiday Events and Activities
- Champaign-Urbana Area Christmas Shows, Concerts, Performances and More