New to the community? New to a school district in the Champaign-Urbana area? Start here.
For some families, registering children — from preschoolers to high schoolers — for the next school year happened months ago. For others, this process will occur in the next few weeks.
We put this list together of public school registration dates and information for communities in and around Champaign County, focusing on Champaign, Urbana, Mahomet, and Rantoul. Other school districts’ information may be added throughout the season.
When you are looking for your first steps (or any questions) regarding school registration, please contact your district with specific questions; we provide this as a community service.
Whether it takes place in-person or using a digital platform, school registration is still an important topic for families, especially those who are new to the community or have moved districts.
If you’re new to the community, new to schooling for your child, or just need to register your child for school, we hope this article is helpful to you.
Thank you to Christie Clinic for presenting our 2022 Champaign-Urbana Area Back to School series.
Christie Clinic wants you to give your kids a healthy start to the school year. Parents can currently make back-to-school appointments for their children through the MyChristie patient portal or by using online scheduling at christieclinic.com. Find more information about school physicals at Christie Clinic click here.
Check out our entire Back to School Series, presented by Christie Clinic:
- Celebrating the First Day of School in Champaign-Urbana
- Back to School: 9 Tips to Prepare for the School Routine
- Champaign-Urbana Area School Start Dates
- Champaign-Urbana Area School Registration Information for 2022-23
- Money-Saving Tips for Back-to-School Shopping
- Back to School: Dental, Vision Exams Required for Illinois Students
- Back to School: Immunizations Required for Illinois Students
- School Physicals: What’s Required for Illinois Students in 2022
Unit 4 families returning from the previous year should have received an email around April with online registration information. The email included a link to the website along with instructions on how to register for the upcoming school year. Online registration for returning students closed at the end of May; if you missed the window, contact your school building.
If you have an elementary school or middle school student who is transferring to the district, please follow this link to find the registration links, available in English, French and Spanish: champaignschools.org/choice.
If your high school student is new to the district, you must contact your child’s high school (this is determined by your address) and set up a time to share academic information from the previous school. You are advised to do this as soon as possible.
For more Unit 4 registration details or updates, check its website or social media.
Registration for returning USD 116 students for the 2022-23 school year became available online starting May 31. Registration and enrollment information will be focused on parents or guardians who have a student who completed the previous year at an Urbana 116 school. This includes students moving from a neighborhood elementary school to Urbana Middle School, or moving from Urbana Middle School to Urbana High School. The district asks that all parents submit registration no later than July 25.
For K-12 students new to the district, USD 116 will hold registration on July 27 from 9 a.m. -1 p.m. and July 28 from 2-5 p.m; more info for new families here.
For more Urbana School District registration details or update, check the USD116 website and social media pages for updates.
For returning students: online registration began July 11 in Skyward.
New-to-the-District Registration (including kindergarten and Pre-K): Gain access to Skyward Family Access via the district website.
In Rantoul, the Rantoul City Schools district covers pre-k through 8th grade; the Rantoul Township High School district covers grades 9-12.
Rantoul City Schools
Online registration for new and returning students opened online on May 1; available here. If online registration is not possible for a family, please email Darcy Widener at email@example.com or call to leave a voicemail at (217) 893-5452. She will contact you to make other arrangements for registration.
Please check your email for information on registration. You can also visit this website for answers to some of your questions. Call the high school at (217) 892-2151 for assistance.
More details by district
This is not a comprehensive list of all public school districts in the Champaign-Urbana area. When you have questions, please reach out directly to your school. If we do not have specific registration info, we will simply include a link to that district’s website.
- Fisher CUSD 1 – online registration opened July 2.
- Gibson City-Melvin-Sibley – online registration opened July 18. In-person registration is scheduled for Aug. 3-4.
- Gifford Grade School – in-person registration is scheduled for Aug. 4 from 9 a.m.-noon and 1-4 p.m.
- Heritage CUSD 8
- Monticello CUSD 25 – details on how to register are available here. Online registration opened on July 5. New student registration is Aug. 4.
- Paxton-Buckley-Loda – registration is open now and details are available here.
- Prairieview-Ogden – registration forms are available online; registration dates are Aug 2-4.
- St. Joseph CCSD 169 – registration forms are available online. Online registration begins Aug. 2.
- St. Joseph-Ogden High School – new to the district registration is typically held in August.
- Thomasboro Grade School
- Tuscola 301
- Unit 7 Schools (Tolono, Sadorus, Sidney, Philo, Pesotum)