Parades at festivals, parades on the Fourth of July, parades with candy, parades with bands — there is so much to love about Champaign-Urbana area parades during the summer
True confessions: WE LOVE PARADES.
We love parades so much, we decided to write an article about our favorite parades in Champaign-Urbana. We do this with the caveat that EVERY PARADE IS A GREAT PARADE.
High parade season in Champaign-Urbana and surrounding communities typically takes place between June through September, and then a dip up until the Christmas parades start up again in November.
This article will focus on summer parades, in other words, parades between Memorial Day and Labor Day. We will do another article about fall parades and winter-holiday parades later this year.
Here’s a list of three of our favorites, listed in chronological order. Below that is a listing of all summer parades on our calendar (and we keep adding more, so check in again.)
Tolono Fun Days Parade
DATE: June 25, 11 a.m.
WHERE: Tolono (about 15 minutes south of Champaign, if you’re not familiar. Take Route 45 South.)
WHY YOU SHOULD GO: Tolono Fun Days parade is the first of the Fourth of July parades. We love it because it always involves a lot of kids on floats, tons of fire trucks, and loads of candy. It’s authentic to its community, and that’s always the hallmark of a great parade.
Seymour 4th of July Parade
DATE: July 4, 10 a.m.
WHERE: Seymour (about 10 minutes south of Mahomet. Take I-72 west toward Monticello and get off at the Mahomet exit and head south, not north toward Mahomet.)
WHY YOU SHOULD GO: If you’re looking for a nostalgic small-town parade near Champaign-Urbana, this one is a winning option. This year, the parade returns to the morning of July 4th. Tons of tractors and fire engines in this parade, along with local marching bands and more.
Labor Day Parade (aka The Candy Parade)
TIME OF YEAR: Labor Day. No really, this is actually ON Labor Day. Typically in the morning. (Editor’s Note: this is usually confirmed much later in the summer)
WHERE: Rumor has it this Urbana parade is being moved to Champaign this year. We are watching this info closely for an official announcement.
WHY YOU SHOULD GO: This is called the Candy Parade for a reason: because your child will get tons of candy. Typically this parade gets really hot weather, so much so that people enjoy the floats with the kid supersoakers.
All Area Parades Coming Up This Summer
Sunday, May 1, 2022
Downtown Farmer City, Time: 2:00 pm
Join Miss Farmer City DeWitt County Fair Queen for the first ever Parade of Queens event this spring! Following the parade there will be many children’s games, a petting zoo, and a UNICORN! This is a FREE event open to all! Check out the Facebook event page for the latest…read more…
Saturday, May 21, 2022
Downtown Mahomet, Time: 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
The Mahomet Lions Club invites community members to honor their favorite veteran, active military, firefighter, police officer, corrections officer, EMS personnel, dispatcher or healthcare worker at the Mahomet Lions Club 2022 Honor Parade & Celebration event being held on Saturday, May 21, 2022, from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm. The…read more…
Friday, June 24, 2022
Saturday, June 25, 2022
Sunday, July 3, 2022
Monday, July 4, 2022
Washington Street, Time: 10:00 am - 11:30 am
The 36th Annual Washington St Neighborhood Parade starts at 10:00 am. Afterwards games, a potluck (neighbors only please) and chalking the sidewalk and visiting encouraged! See more details below. The parade starts at Washington and Lynn Streets and runs west to New Street. Be in the Parade: Decorate yourself and/or…read more…
Saturday, July 30, 2022
Friday, August 5, 2022
Saturday, August 6, 2022
Saturday, August 13, 2022
Downtown St. Joseph, Time: 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
3 p.m - Community Festival Parade. Lineup at 2 p.m. Starts at Middle School, Ends at High School. ROUTE: Peters Dr. to Evergreen to Main St .to High School Get more info on the St. Joseph Community Festival here.
Saturday, August 27, 2022
Downtown Mahomet, Time: 9:00 am - 10:00 am
The Mahomet Music Festival Parade is one you don't want to miss! The parade kicks off at 9am, starting at Lincoln Trail School, heading south on Division, east on Union, north on Elm, and west on Franklin. FREE entertainment begin following the parade and the vendors and carnival open up,…read more…
Saturday, September 3, 2022
Get ready for summer in Champaign-Urbana:
- End of Summer Pool Closings and Hour Changes
- Champaign County Fair Fun for Families: Preview, Highlights, Tips and Ways to Save
- Blueberry Picking Near Champaign-Urbana
- Summer Parades in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Best Midwest Summer Road Trips for Champaign-Urbana Families
- Beaches Within a Short Driving Distance of Champaign-Urbana
- How to Celebrate Juneteenth Around Champaign-Urbana
- 8 Great Summer Festivals in Central Illinois
- Champaign-Urbana Area Fourth of July FIREWORKS!
- 50+ Ways to Have Summer Fun on a Budget In and Around Champaign-Urbana
- Summer Fun in Chicago: Free Days at the Best Museums
- Champaign-Urbana Area Summer Fairs and Festivals
- Splash Pads Around Champaign-Urbana
- Strawberry Picking Near Champaign-Urbana
- How to Celebrate the Fourth of July in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Area Outdoor Swimming Pools
- Champaign-Urbana Area Summer Reading Programs
- Where to Go Boating with Your Family Near Champaign-Urbana
- Free and Cheap Outdoor Movies in Champaign-Urbana
- Have the Ultimate Outdoor Summer with Kids in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Summer Fun for Families in Champaign-Urbana
- Farmers Markets in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Outdoor Concerts in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Free Summer Kids Movies Return to Savoy
- Where to See a Baseball Game Near Champaign-Urbana
- Visiting Champaign-Urbana Area Parks and Playgrounds with your Family
- Things to Do for Teens (and Tweens) This Summer in Champaign-Urbana
- Fishing Fun for Families in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Swim Teams in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Where to Take Swim Lessons in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Summer Camps for Kids