Champaign-Urbana area swim teams for kids
Champaign-Urbana offers plenty of options if you are interested in participating in area swim teams. Whether you are looking for summer teams or year-round opportunities, Champaign-Urbana has many choices designed to meet your family’s needs.
Many organizations offer pre-swim team options for children who aren’t yet comfortable with various swim strokes or who need to work on building their stamina and endurance for practice. These are great opportunities for children to practice their skill development ahead of joining a swim team. Most teams are geared toward children ages 6-18. They also encourage team building skills, motor development, and support social learning.
Summer swim meets typically take place on the weekends before pools open to the general public. If you haven’t purchased your pop-up tent, rolling carts, and bag chairs, you might want to consider it before the summer begins. They come in very handy for the hot summer sun and poolside viewing. During year-round swim meets, it is encouraged that families invest in some comfortable portable chairs. Surprisingly, many indoor spectator and waiting areas are cooler than expected, so it is important to dress in layers.
A highlight of many swim meets is visiting with families of other swimmers and sharing in the swim experience with them. Coffee runs, donuts, and breakfast spreads help to achieve camaraderie amongst parents waiting on their children’s races.
A few insider tips for parents:
- Parent volunteers are always needed and encouraged to help swim meets run more smoothly.
- Being a timer, though it may sound daunting, often gives you the best view available for watching your child in the pool.
- Swim parents always have access to Sharpie markers. They allow children to visually track the races on their arm or foot and do not wash off in the water.
- Have a spare pair of goggles and an extra swim cap because it never fails … your kids will lose them or they might break right before their race.
- Flip flops are always convenient to have for pool showers.
- Remember, swim team is fun. Your children are working to better their individual times, so celebrate their personal bests.
- Ask questions. Parents who have been around the swim team scene are usually eager and willing to help new team members.
- Pack your favorite healthy snacks for swim meets. It is important for swimmers to stay hydrated so be sure to throw in some extra water bottles or sport drink mix.
For more information about summer or year long swim team options, be sure to check out the respective teams below. Click on the links for team websites.
Year-round swim team options located in Champaign-Urbana:
The Heat practices at the Stephens Family YMCA and features flexible scheduling for practices. Participants are required to attend two practices per week but may select options practicing on a more frequent basis depending upon group placement. Short-course swimming takes place from August-March and long course swimming season runs from April-July. Minimum swim requirements for Sparks, their entry level group, include being able to swim a 25-meter freestyle and 25-meter backstroke without an instructor’s support. All participants must be evaluated by a swim coach and will be placed in the appropriate group level for their abilities. A participant may try three practices for free before committing to the organization. Detailed information can be found here.
The Tiger Sharks practice at the Urbana Indoor Aquatic Center. Practices are based on ability level of the participant rather than age. An evaluation is recommended by the swim coach in order to determine the most optimal practice grouping. Detailed information can be found here.
Summer swim team options located in Champaign-Urbana:
These summer-based teams practice at the Champaign Country Club and are open to club members. They feature sharks and minnows swim for youth 5 and under. Their championship swim and dive team is open to children 5 and up.
The Sholem Sharks practice at Sholem Aquatic Center from May-July. Pre-swim team is available to children ages 6 and under and fills up quickly. Children must be comfortable with putting their face in the water and be able to participate in swim instruction for 30 minutes. The swim team is suggested for children ages 7-18. Participants must be able to swim a 25-yard freestyle stroke with their face in the water. Practices typically take place in the mornings before the swimming pool is open to the general public. For more information, click here.
In order to join the Indian Acres swim team, children must be members of Indian Acres Swim Club. A limited swim team membership is available for those wanting to attend morning practice and swim meets only. Pre-swim team is offered and is designed for children ages 4-7. Detailed information can be found here.
Practices and local meets are held in the heated pool at Lincolnshire Fields Country Club. Information for 2022 has not been provided at this time.
Practices and local meets are held at Crystal Lake Park Family Aquatic Center. Pre-team is available for youth up to 8 years of age and have completed Urbana Park District’s intermediate swim lessons. Nadiators 1 is designed for children ages 9-12 who are able to swim 25 yards of freestyle and backstroke. They need to possess a general knowledge of breaststroke and butterfly, as well as be able to withstand practice for one hour in duration. Youth ages 13-18 who demonstrate knowledge of all swim strokes and can participate in up to two hours of practice are recommended for Nadiators 2. Information for 2022 has not been provided at this time.
Swim teams located beyond Champaign-Urbana:
Practices take place at the Clinton Community YMCA and are available throughout the year, as the Otters participate in the YMCA competitive season.
Summer swim practices take place at the Monticello Family Aquatic Center on weekday mornings. Swim team is designed for children ages kindergarten to 18. Participants must be able to swim 25 meters and be able to attend three practices per week in order to attend swim meets.
In-person registration for Tuscola’s summer swim program will be held on April 1 at North Ward Elementary School from 6-8 p.m. Details about pre-team and swim team can be found on their team website, along with practice schedules, meet schedule, and updated practice group definitions.
Are we missing your favorite swim team? Contact us for more information.
Get ready for summer in Champaign-Urbana:
- Strawberry Picking Near Champaign-Urbana
- How to Celebrate the Fourth of July in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Area Outdoor Swimming Pools
- Champaign-Urbana Area Summer Reading Programs
- Where to Go Boating with Your Family Near Champaign-Urbana
- Free and Cheap Outdoor Movies in Champaign-Urbana
- Have the Ultimate Outdoor Summer with Kids in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Summer Fun for Families in Champaign-Urbana
- Farmers Markets in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Outdoor Concerts in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Free Summer Kids Movies Return to Savoy
- Where to See a Baseball Game Near Champaign-Urbana
- Visiting Champaign-Urbana Area Parks and Playgrounds with your Family
- Things to Do for Teens (and Tweens) This Summer in Champaign-Urbana
- Fishing Fun for Families in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Swim Teams in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Where to Take Swim Lessons in Champaign-Urbana
- Season Pool Passes On Sale in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Summer Camps for Kids