The holiday season is full of great Christmas shows, concerts, and performances of all kinds
When you’re looking for a festive outing for your family this season, we give you all the options throughout Champaign-Urbana
If you are looking for Champaign-Urbana Christmas shows, concerts and holiday performances, you’re in luck. There are many Christmas performances around Champaign, Urbana, Monticello, and other locations this November and December. Champaign-Urbana Christmas holiday performances range from single performance shows to those that run through the whole season such as plays, musicals, concerts, and of course the ballet.
Thanks to the Champaign-Urbana Ballet for presenting our holiday performances compilation.
Champaign Urbana Ballet is delighted to bring a little magic back to the stage with the 23rd production of the beloved holiday classic, The Nutcracker on Dec. 3-5 at Krannert Center for the Performing Arts. Nutcracker regulars and first-timers alike can ring in the holiday season with this joyous tradition featuring intricate stagecraft with expertly designed and locally inspired scenery, beautifully hand-crafted costumes, and, as always, the artistry and athleticism of CU Ballet’s extraordinary dancers. This time-honored community tradition is a time for making memories as we wait in anticipation for the most beautiful season of the year. From the opening notes of the overture, to Clara’s farewell to her Nutcracker Prince, CU Ballet’s production of The Nutcracker is an experience to treasure.
The Nutcracker on Friday, Dec. 3 at 7:30 p.m.; Saturday, Dec. 4 at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.; Sunday, Dec. 5 at 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. at Krannert Center for the Performing Arts, 500 S. Goodwin Avenue in Urbana.
Tickets at the Krannert Center Box Office at (217) 333-6280 or online at KrannertCenter.com. Prices: $48/adult, $29/student, and $19/youth. Visit the Champaign Urbana Ballet website or Facebook page now.
The following list includes shows with tickets generally $15 or less (and some cases, free!) This listing includes family-friendly shows only.
This year it is more important than ever to buy your tickets ahead of time, as many of these performances require that and tickets WILL sell out. Make your plans without delay!No Events
The following shows are higher-cost ticket items. (For family friendliness, be sure to look at the info.)
- The Champaign Urbana Ballet presents an annual tradition, The Nutcracker, at Krannert Center for the Performing Arts Dec. 3-5. E.T.A. Hoffman’s timeless tale — complete with enchanted toys, a princely hero, and fanciful figures — comes to life in this showcase of community talent. This holiday tradition sparkles with exquisitely handcrafted costumes and magical moments. This year’s production will be performed to recorded music. Recommended for ages 5 and up. Tickets are $48 for adults and $19 for children 12 and under.
- The Champaign-Urbana Symphony Orchestra presents Welcome Joy! at Krannert Center for the Performing Arts on Dec. 9. The holiday season begins with CUSO’s joyful return to Foellinger Great Hall at Krannert Center. This year’s holiday concert welcomes families to enjoy carol arrangements new and old, and a variety of vocal masterpieces. CUSO is joined by the beautiful voices of the Central Illinois Youth Chorus and outstanding soloists, performing magnificent music to lift your spirits. Tickets are $40 for adults and $10 for youth.
- Little Theatre on the Square presents We Need a Little Christmas. Come celebrate the season with The Little Theatre On The Square and leave your cares at home! Enjoy your favorite holiday tunes as well as some not so familiar songs that will encompass all the ‘feels’ of the most wonderful time of the year. Spend a few hours with your ‘Little’ family and leave with a song in your heart and a ‘Little’ pep in your step. Located in Sullivan, about an hour away from Champaign-Urbana. Playing Dec. 3-19, adults $37.50 and age 22 and under $21.75.
Everything Holiday Season In and Around Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Eat on Christmas in Champaign-Urbana
- Meals with Santa Claus in Champaign-Urbana
- Where to Find Santa Claus in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- 50+ Experience Gift Ideas for Kids in Champaign-Urbana
- Amazing Christmas Lights Around Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Live Nativity Displays in Champaign-Urbana
- Holiday Lights at the Zoo: Where to Drive From Champaign-Urbana
- How to Chop Down Your Own Christmas Tree in the Shawnee National Forest – For $5 (or Less)
- Home for the Holidays: Shopping and Eating Locally in Champaign-Urbana
- Botanical Garden at Lake of the Woods to Illuminate during Holidays for First Time
- 8+ Great Places to See Holiday Lights in Central Illinois
- All Aboard: Polar Express Fun (Beyond the Train) in Champaign-Urbana
- Champaign-Urbana Area Holiday Events and Activities
- Where to Buy a Live Christmas Tree Near Champaign-Urbana
- Christmas Parades near Champaign-Urbana
- German Christmas Market Returns to Riggs Beer Company in Urbana
- What You Need to Know About the Walk-Through Holiday Lights at Allerton Park