Scovill Zoo in Decatur is an annual summer favorite for Champaign-Urbana families, and thanks to its free Thursdays during summer, the fun is truly available to all
Some of your other Scovill favorites will be returning to the zoo experience this year
How excited are you for summer? No really — how exciting is the idea of enjoying some of your favorite summer memories once again after many modifications and closures during 2020 due to the pandemic? Well, good news is here when it comes to driving down I-72 to Scovill Zoo. Not only can you enjoy free Thursday admission all summer long once again this year, but family favorites (like the train!) that you may have missed are returning for 2021.
Scovill Zoo may be considered a “small town zoo” by some, but for those of us who have ventured there in years past, we know it is a leveled-up, small town zoo for sure. The train that runs around the zoo sets it apart and is something you can’t really find at other nearby zoos. And while the train was closed in 2020 due to COVID-19, this year it is reopening again with capacity limits and requirements to space between household groups on the train. Other things we love include the petting zoo, penguins, giant tortoises and so much more.
Free Thursdays Begin June 3
Perhaps the most important thing we look forward to when it comes to Scovill Zoo is that all summer long, admission to the zoo is completely FREE for families who wish to visit on Thursdays.
Free Thursdays begin on June 3 and last through Oct. 7. You can even reserve admission now for the Thursday you wish to visit on the Scovill Zoo website. Of course if you wish to visit on a day other than Thursday, you can purchase your tickets now for that day, too.
Note that carousel and train rides do have an additional cost, including on free Thursdays. We recommend buying tokens on your way into the zoo so you can just walk up to them when you’re ready for a ride.
And for the reptile fans in your family, the Herpaquarium will be open (at 50 percent capacity) this year, too! These are all things we missed during 2020 and so we know families will be excited to plan a visit to Scovill soon.
Looking for more about our favorite zoos and places to see animals near Champaign-Urbana?
- Zoos Within 3 Hours of Champaign-Urbana
- Best Places to Get Close to Animals in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Road Trip: Visit St. Louis as a Family
- 10 Things to Know About Henry Vilas Zoo in Wisconsin
- A Champaign-Urbana Favorite: Prairie Farm
- 10 Things to Know About Indianapolis Zoo
- 10 Things to Know About Brookfield Zoo
- 10 Things to Know about Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago
- 10 Things to Know About Peoria Zoo
- 10 Things to Know About Miller Park Zoo in Bloomington-Normal
- Head North for Family Fun: What To Do On Your Chicago Trip
- Frugal Family Fun: Get Wild and Head to the Saint Louis Zoo
- 10 Things to Know About Scovill Zoo in Decatur
- The Best Area Attraction You’ve Never Visited: Wildlife Prairie State Park