Things may be quiet around town so embrace the season and get outdoors for a winter wonderland walk this weekend
Nature is always open, so head out to enjoy the beauty of winter this weekend with a winter wonderland walk, Champaign-Urbana
Not quite enough for sledding, this we know… but winter in Champaign-Urbana is a beautiful time of year! And you can get those snowpants and boots out for a wintery walk through one of our walking paths in town or escape to a nearby wooded area to take it all in.
chambanamoms thanks Christie Clinic for presenting this weekend’s planner
Don’t miss our recent interview with Christie Clinic family medicine physician, Dr. Nathan Roberts, about kids and the Covid-19 vaccine. Keep an eye out for our winter playdates presented by Christie Clinic (virtual style), coming soon.
Tips for taking a winter walk in Champaign-Urbana
We think your kids will love it and we bet you will, too. Just don’t plan on being out TOO long so you can avoid the “I’m too cold” meltdown that may be just around the corner for you.
- Dress warm with lots of layers! Dress just like you’re going sledding if you’re doing anything further than a simple walk through your neighborhood. Looking for something a little more thrilling? Get some basic snowshoeing gear this year!
- Pack extra (dry!) socks in case toes inside boots get cold. You can change your littles’ socks as soon as you’re back in the car. You may want to throw a blanket or two in the car for afterwards, too.
- Pick a walking path or hiking trail ahead of time. The less time you spend standing around in the cold, the more content your kids are likely to be.
- Start small! If walks in the middle of winter are new to your family, it’s perfectly ok to just go out for fifteen minutes and call it good before anyone starts to melt down. Better to end on a high note than have everyone remember it to be an awful experience because you stayed out too long.
- Have fun! Winter walks are truly spectacular and there are a lot of things to enjoy about them differently than any other time of year.
For more tips on having the ultimate outdoor winter this year in Champaign-Urbana, check out this post here, presented by Countryside School.
A few events to check out this weekend
To find the complete chambanamoms.com event calendar, click here. Submit events you know of by clicking here. We welcome in-person and streamed events. Be sure to include the complete link to find your streamed event, if happening virtually.
Check out the video linked above (or click here) and comment on the video to be entered in a giveaway for six weeks of FREE programming with Curves Champaign.
Curves is a fitness facility that is especially designed for women that offers a complete 30 minute workout that is fast, fun and safe! They have both in club and online 30 minute strength and cardio workouts with coaching. They offer a comprehensive nutrition and weight management program to help you achieve your weight loss and fitness goals. They offer high value 6 week online classes in balance, stretch and stress with personal coaching that is open to all. They also offer a 6 week fitness challenge in club and online if you want to try it out! Learn more at their website, Facebook, Instagram or by calling 217-352-9922
For more events, as always, check our Champaign-Urbana family-friendly events calendar, presented by CIBM Bank.