Make Family Memories at Christmas Tree Farms Near Champaign-Urbana – and Other Places to Buy a Live Christmas Tree in the Champaign-Urbana Area
There is nothing quite like heading to a Champaign-Urbana area Christmas tree farm to pick out the perfect Christmas tree. Whether you want to head out to the field and cut your own Christmas tree or you prefer to choose from a selection of fresh cut Christmas trees, our handy guide will help you find the best Christmas tree farms near you. And many of the area farms offer unique experiences to make your visit even more memorable — yes, even in this very unique year.
(As your family makes plans to head out to a tree farm this holiday season, we encourage you to check with farms directly to confirm details – and remember to pack your masks!)
Fresh cut Christmas trees have arrived at Prairie Gardens! Enjoy 6-8′ tall Balsam Fir Trees fresh from Nova Scotia, Scotch Pines, Douglas Firs and more, starting the week before Thanksgiving. Plus, fresh Christmas Wreaths, Boughs, Poinsettias and more are available fresh from the PG Greenhouses. Come enjoy the irresistible scents of a fresh Christmas!
Thank you to Prairie Gardens for sponsoring this list.
A few tips before you go out to get your live Christmas tree:
– Some farms only take cash or checks, so be prepared.
– Please note, trees sell out. Go early for the best selection.
– Some places allow dogs, but remember to ask if you’re not sure.
– Some places allow you to cut your own tree; others do it for you. Most do not allow chainsaws.
– Tree farms can be difficult to find, so do your research and bring your sense of humor. We’ve provided links to help you out. Get your GPS ready and go find the perfect tree.
– Dress appropriately!
– Be on the look out for this year’s updated information about how to recycle that live Christmas tree.
– Pack your masks and check with the tree farm ahead of time for any COVID-19 procedures that may be in place.
PLACES TO CUT YOUR OWN TREE NEAR CHAMPAIGN-URBANA, CONFIRMED FOR 2020:
Hardy’s Reindeer Ranch, Rantoul:
Hardy’s Reindeer Ranch has five acres of choose-and-cut Christmas trees, as well as Fraser from North Carolina and Douglas Fir, Scotch and White Pine from Indiana. They have saws, a tree shaker and baler for your convenience. Check the website for hours. Of course, you can see some reindeer while you’re there! SOLD OUT FOR 2020
Sunset Christmas Tree Farm, Mansfield: Choose-and-cut your own White Pines (long needles), in the 6- to 9-foot range. Also available: pre-cut Fraser Firs ranging in size from three feet up to 12 feet, wreaths, swags, grave pillows and roping all made at the farm. Opening day is Nov. 27 and they are open 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays until sell out.
Helmig’s Tree Farm, Saybrook: Choose-and-cut pines, firs and spruces; pre-cut options and homemade wreathes available as well. Nov. 27 is opening day (10 a.m.-5 p.m.). Then open on Saturdays and Sundays only until Dec. 20 from 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Would you consider driving to southern Illinois into Shawnee National Forest to cut down your own Christmas tree… for only $5? Click here for all the details.
PLACES TO BUY A LIVE TREE IN CHAMPAIGN-URBANA AND BEYOND (no cutting needed), CONFIRMED FOR 2020:
Tate’s Trees, Champaign:
Opening day is Nov. 23, open daily 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. until sell out. Located north of Champaign on Mattis Avenue. Several varieties available. Offering delivery as well as tree pickup/recycling. SOLD OUT FOR 2020
Country Arbors Nursery, Urbana: pre-cut Christmas trees, greens, wreaths, grave blankets, live trees and garland available. Trees go on sale starting Nov. 18. They will offer online ordering as well as delivery to select zip codes.
No Bad Days Farm, Shelbyville: pre-cut Christmas trees available beginning Nov. 21. They have a variety of 6-7 feet, 7-8 feet and 8-9 feet Fraser Fir, Nordman, Scotch and Concolor pines. They also have fresh wreaths as well as grave pillows and blankets. Open Saturdays and Sundays.
PLACES NOT OPENING FOR 2020:
Forest Hills Tree Farm, Danville: From their Facebook page, “We are unable to open this season. We hope you have a Merry Christmas.”
Phillips Christmas Trees, Heyworth: A choose-and-cut tree farm; no pre-cut trees sold here. Located about an hour northwest of Champaign-Urbana. Posted in August: “I have decided not to open this year because after inspecting my sellable trees i have determined that I don’t have enough that are tall enough to meet the demand of my customers.”
Illini Foresters, Urbana: Sell a small number of trees at Race and Windsor in Urbana. Tree sales typically start in early December until sell out. A reader let us know that this isn’t happening this year. Check the NRES Facebook page.
C-U Optimist Club, Champaign: According to organizer Jack Widholm, the Optimist Club is taking this holiday season off. In past years, they sell trees under a tent at the corner of Springfield and Mattis (Country Fair shopping center). Tree sales typically start after Thanksgiving until sell out. Proceeds benefit events, programs and charities that serve local children.
Did we leave your favorite tree farm off our list? Do you have a tree buying tip that our readers need to know? Let us know!
Looking for all kinds of info for the 2020 holiday season in Champaign-Urbana?
- Champaign-Urbana Holiday Meals To Go
- Amazing Christmas Lights Around Champaign-Urbana and Beyond
- Holiday Giving and Volunteering in Champaign-Urbana
- Holiday Food Favorites You Can Find Around Champaign-Urbana
- What You Need to Know about Hanukkah
- Where to Find Santa in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- Make Memories, Not Clutter: 35+ Experience Gifts for Kids
- Christmas Parades a Short Drive from Champaign-Urbana
- Drive-Thru Holiday Events in the Champaign-Urbana Area
- 8+ Great Places to See Holiday Lights in Central Illinois
- Champaign-Urbana Area Holiday Events and Activities
- Holiday Shopping and Eating in Champaign-Urbana