Champaign-Urbana farmers markets will go on as scheduled but, given the coronavirus pandemic, important protocols have been put in place.
The Champaign Farmers Market, Urbana’s Market at the Square, and Urbana Business Association’s Market in the Square have put together guidelines in collaboration with the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District for the safe operation of the markets in 2020. The safety plan and guidelines took into account the suggestions made by the Illinois Farmers Market Association and University of Illinois Extension.
Among the stipulations: Vendors are limited to food products; one shopper per household; there will be no entertainment or seating; social distancing of 6-foot separations will be enforced amongst patrons and between vendor booths; online ordering and curbside pickup are available; and the number of shoppers allowed in the market at any period will be determined by the market’s manager. (Patrons will have one entrance and one exit.)
A complete list of guidelines is below. Urbana’s Market at the Square is scheduled to begin May 2 (7 a.m.-noon). The Champaign Farmers Market begins May 19 (3-6 p.m.).
1) Require 6’ space between each vendor booth
2) Only one shopper per household allowed market entry and no children (exceptions for elderly and handicapped)
3) Offer online ordering and curbside pick-up
4) In and out format, no social gathering
5) Vendors are limited to food products, including agricultural products, value added products, and cottage food
6) Mark X’s 6 ft. apart for people to stand in line
7) Sanitize frequently touched surfaces and equipment every hour
8) Only one entrance and one exit for market, which will also include a hand washing station for shoppers to use before entering and when exiting
9) No entertainment, including children or community programming and music
10) No seating will be available at the market
11) Provide proper signage reminding shoppers of safety regulations
12) Communicate shopper safety regulations via social media and other marketing outlets 13) No tablecloths
14) The amount of shoppers allowed into the market at one time will be determined by the Market Manager. This determination will be communicated to staff and volunteers prior to the opening bell on market day.
Champaign-Urbana Grocery Store Round-Up | Where to Find Cloth Masks and Materials In and Around Champaign-Urbana | 9 How-To Tips on Running Essential Errands Around Champaign-Urbana | Where to Find Locally Raised Meat in Champaign-Urbana | Champaign-Urbana Farmers Markets Set Guidelines | Where to Get Family Style Takeout in Champaign-Urbana and Beyond