Having a baby is full of excitement, wonder and even concern. Rest assured Carle Obstetrics is here to support and guide you through your journey to motherhood. Our providers and nursing staff are specially trained for normal and high-risk pregnancies and deliveries.
LABOR AND DELIVERY UNIT at Carle
Carle Foundation Hospital is proud to offer expectant moms the highest level of quality care in a warm, supportive atmosphere. Our Labor & Delivery unit features:
- Nurse to patient assignments that offer personalized care from our unit staff.
- Board certified obstetricians, perinatologists, neonatologists, nurse midwives and OB anesthesia 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Pain management options, including pain medications, whirlpool tubs, nitrous, epidural and birthing ball.
- Flexible visiting hours (except when limited by flu season or other medically indicated restrictions).
- Spacious rooms with comfortable seating and fold-out beds.
- In-room exclusive quality time with your baby from the moment of birth through discharge.
- Hugs® newborn security system.
- Breastfeeding help during your stay and after you go home.
- A welcoming and collaborative environment for doulas throughout your labor and delivery.
Whether you’re adding to your family through adoption, preparing for your first childbirth experience or refreshing your prepared childbirth skills, we have the right class for you. From breastfeeding to sibling classes, our classes have been designed to teach you valuable information about baby care and pregnancy.
We encourage you, as well as your family and friends, to attend these classes. The information you gather beforehand can only help you and your family prepare for this exciting event.
All of our classes are open to both Carle and non-Carle patients. A small fee is charged for some classes to cover expenses, but for most classes there are no fees. We do ask, however, that you register in advance for any of the classes offered. For more information or to register for a class, please call (217) 383-6962 or you may register online at carle.org/classes.
High Risk Pregnancy
If you experience pregnancy complications or have had a complicated pregnancy in the past, our specialists are here to help. Our physicians use the most advanced diagnostic tools to help identify issues and provide high-quality care to both mom and baby. Common conditions that can put you or your baby at “high-risk” during pregnancy include:
- High blood pressure
- Kidney disease
- Smoking, using alcohol or illegal drugs
- Being younger than 17 and older than 35
- Problems in the past with pregnancy including preterm labor, preeclampsia, etc.
- Having had three or more miscarriages
- Your baby having a genetic condition such as Down syndrome or heart, lung, or kidney problems
Some of these conditions are managed by our obstetricians, perinatologists or both.
Maternal Fetal Medicine experts also provide comprehensive genetic screening, testing and consultation for women who want to learn more about possible pregnancy risks.
IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS
During your pregnancy you’ll become especially tuned into your body’s signals and the needs of your growing baby. Trust your instincts and call your provider if something doesn’t feel right with you or the baby.
- Pregnancy related, labor and immediate pregnancy related questions during the hours of 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, call your primary prenatal care provider.
- Pregnancy related (if you are less than 20 weeks pregnant) after 5 p.m. and weekends, call Patient Advisory Services (217) 383-3233.
- Labor and immediate pregnancy related questions (if you are more than 20 weeks pregnant) 5 p.m. to 7:30 a.m., weekdays, and any time on weekends and holidays, call Carle Labor and Delivery Unit (217) 383-3305.