Keep your kids’ minds in motion during the hotter months with some great Champaign-Urbana area summer reading programs. We put together a round-up of as many of them as we could find, and please, if we’ve forgotten one, let us know in the comments. Thanks to Jet’s Pizza for sponsoring this guide.
Summer reading has no age limit. There are programs for kids of all ages, as well as grown-ups. In fact, what a great way to model to your children the importance of reading!
Summer Reading Program Dates: May 20 — Aug. 19
For infants to 4th grade graduates
To get started, register here. Then get a reading log at the library or click here to print your log at home and start right away! (Be sure to register first, so we know you’re participating.) Fill in one square of your reading log for every 10 minutes you read or listen to books. Read 100 minutes to earn a small prize. Keep reading as much as you want to. When you finish (by August 19), you can choose a prize book, thanks to support from the Library Friends. And you’ll be entered to win one of the grand prizes!
Earn a prize every time you read for 2 hours!
2 HOURS = Culver’s ice cream + FriendShop Bookstore free book
4 HOURS = Jet’s Pizza Slice + Panera sweet treat
6 HOURS = Meatheads treat + Papa Murphy’s cookie dough
8 HOURS = Book of your choice + Skateland pass
10 HOURS = Monical’s Individual Pizza + Champaign Park District pass for Sholem Aquatic Center, Virginia Theatre, or Leonhard Recreation Center
Earn a raffle entry for each 2 additional hours you read. Visit the library to claim your prizes. Read 20 hours or more? You’ll get fame, fortune, and your own free backpack! Grand prize? You can win a Fire HD 8 tablet!
Why should kids have all the fun? You’ll receive a coupon for a free book from the FriendShop Bookstore when you sign up. Each week your name will be entered to win fabulous prizes.
Summer Reading Program Dates: May 21 – Aug. 31
Register online or at the Library
This summer, make time to read the books you love and win prizes just for reading! Read books of your choice (including eBooks and audiobooks), and attend fun programs. Get ready for Reading Takes You Everywhere! 2018 Summer Reading Program Information Brochure (Printable PDF)
Children’s Summer Reading Program Coloring Log (Printable PDF)
- For children birth through those entering grade 6 – both readers and listeners.
- Each time you read at least 15 minutes, mark your reading log.
- Bring your completed log to the Library to receive a free book plus coupons for local businesses.
- For each additional log you complete, you will receive another free book!
- For teens who have completed grades 6 through 12.
- Select books of your choice and keep track of the number of pages read.
- Every time you read 1,000 pages, come to the Library to pick out a free book from our selection of new books.
- Reading also enters you in a weekly raffle to win a complete book series.
- For adults who love to read. Why let kids have all the fun?
- Read books of your choice and record your reading progress.
- After you read 4 books, stop by the Library to select a free book from our selection of popular books.
- Keep reading! For each additional four books you complete, you will receive another free book! Each person completing the Summer Reading Program will receive an entry to win one of three Kindle eReaders.
Summer Reading Program Dates: May 29 — July 27
Register here from May 29 to June 30 to be an Allerton Public Library Summer Reader. Readers need to be 3 years old by June 1 and can be entering grade 12. Start logging your reading minutes on June 1 and end July 27. Prizes are available at the library from June 11 through Aug. 3 for reading levels completed on logs.
Summer Reading Program Dates: June 9-July 22
Reading Takes You Everywhere! Join us for a fun party June 9 from 11 a.m.-noon with entertainment by Mr. Steve and sign up to participate in the 2018 Summer Reading Program at TPL. Kids who sign up will be entered for a chance to participate in a balloon animal workshop immediately following the show and will also be entered to win a cool prize!
Summer Reading Program Dates: May 15-Sept. 3
The Barnes & Noble Summer Reading Program is here to help you on your way, encouraging you to read books of your own choosing and earn a FREE book, simply by following these three easy steps:
1. Read any eight books this summer and record them in your Summer Reading Journal (English or Español). Tell us which part of the book is your favorite, and why.
2. Bring your completed journal to a Barnes & Noble store between May 15 and Sept. 3. Find a Store
3. Choose your FREE reading adventure from the book list featured on the back of the journal.
Tuscola Public Library
Summer Reading Program Dates: Begins May 30
Summer Read Kickoff, Reading Takes You Everywhere!, will be held May 30 from 10 a.m. to noon. Signups began earlier in May. The program begins May 30. Just come into the library and sign up.
St. Joseph Township-Swearingen Memorial Library
Summer Reading Program Dates: June 4-July 7
Come in and sign up for the 2017 Summer Reading Program!
The Summer Reading Program runs 5 weeks in June and July for Preschool through 6th Grade.
The Teen Summer Reading Program runs 5 weeks in June and July for 7th through 12th Grade.
The Adult Summer Reading Program is a summer reading program for Adults. It runs concurrently with the Children’s summer reading program.
The Summer Reading Program runs 6 weeks in June and July for kindergarten through fifth grade. Stop by the library to find out more information.
Summer Reading Program Dates: May 25-Aug. 16
Each participant is invited to fill out a bingo sheet of reading activities. Every bingo you complete will earn you a bead for your brag tag and a raffle ticket for the end-of-summer prize drawings. Each time you earn a raffle ticket, put it in one of the bins for a chance to win a Magna-Tiles set, a Kindle or a Barnes and Noble gift card.
- eligible for kids ages 13 and under
- read 5 books to earn a reward: (1) lil’ meathead burger
- parent/guardian signature required for child to earn each reward
- fill out a voracious reading certificate to begin
Did we miss a summer reading program? Please add your favorite in the comments!