Editor’s note: Urbana’s Market at the Square is a sponsor of Chambanamoms.
By Sterling Bollman
Urbana’s Market at the Square just completed the first month of the season and has drawn quite the crowd so far. Even with the weather not exactly cooperating, (we’ve had our fill of cold, rain and wind) people have been coming in droves. They were braving the elements to come out and support the Market and it really got us thinking, “What makes the Market so appealing? What is it that makes people come out rain or shine?”
So we decided to talk to our loyal patrons and find out exactly why it was that they came out week after week to the corner of Illinois and Vine. We asked them, “What is it that gets you most excited to come out to the Market at the Square?” We asked patrons, community groups and vendors and got quite a variety of answers to compile into a list. So, without further ado, we present you with the Top 10 reasons to visit Urbana’s Market at the Square!
Top 10 Reasons to Come to the Market at the Square
10. “It’s a great place to come and support our favorite vendors”
9. “Definitely the sweet corn! We can’t wait for it to be in season.”
8. “I love the baked goods. You can find some of the best cakes, pastries and breads here.”
7. “I can’t narrow it down to one thing! I love it all. Especially the Juicy Bears that CK Roasted Almonds sells.”
6. “For me, it’s the only place to buy seedlings. There’s a great selection.”
5. “I love meeting friends here and browsing the Market with them!”
4. “I love the food trucks! There’s such a variety of different foods available.”
3. “This is the only place I come for my meat purchases. You can’t beat the taste of the fresh, local meats.”
2. “The produce is incredible! We come here every week to stock up on our fresh produce and love that we can support local growers at the same time!”
1. “The Market is the summer-time heartbeat of the community. You can get fresh produce, listen to good music and reconnect with your neighbors, friends and vendors. It really doesn’t get any better than that.”
We received so many great responses, it was incredibly difficult to cut it down to 10. Thank you to everyone who comes week in and week out to this Market. It wouldn’t be where it’s at today without the support of our loyal patrons. So go out, talk to people and find out if they have ever been to the Market at the Square because now, if they haven’t, you have 10 great reasons for them to try it out.
Sterling Bollman is the assistant director of Urbana’s Market at the Square.