Can you feel the electricity in the air? No, it’s not a spring thunderstorm — it’s the first day of summer vacation!
Kids in Urbana School District No. 116 had their last day May 23, and kids in Champaign Unit 4 Schools will be set free on May 29.
There’s nothing quite as delicious as that very first day of freedom, no matter what age you are. So how should you spend it? We’ve got five great ways to wile away the daylight and savor the sweetness of your first day of summer.
1. Sleep in! We know not everyone gets to stay home on the first day of vacation (sad-panda face!) but those of you who do should definitely get your snooze on. What better way to welcome in the lazy days of summer than a morning in your PJs?
2. Go get your pool pass! Area pools open this weekend so run, don’t walk to sign up for your season’s pass. The weatherman tells us it’s going to be 90-plus degrees out there this weekend, so you’re definitely going to need to cool off. And don’t forget to try out the new slide at Sholem Pool in Champaign!
3. Sign up for summer camp! There’s still time to register your wee (and not-so wee) ones for summer camps and activities. Check out our list of area options for summer child-care and camps.
4. Go see a matinee! Is there anything more decadent than seeing a movie in the broad daylight? “Marvel’s The Avengers 3D” and “The Pirates! Band Of Misfits” are both playing at area theaters this week. Not sure if these flicks are appropriate for your kids? Check them out on CommonSense Media, a site that offers age-appropriate reviews of movies so parents know what to expect when the curtain goes up.
5. Do nothing at all! Stop, sit still and enjoy a cold, refreshing beverage on your porch/stoop/patio/balcony. Toss the kids some sidewalk chalk or set up the sprinkler, close your eyes for a second, take a deep breath and pat yourself on the back — you made it through another school year.
How will you spend your first day of summer vacation with the kids?