It’s Columbus Day in Champaign-Urbana. Do you have kids out of school, daycare or preschool? Looking for something to do with them in the Champaign-Urbana area on Columbus Day? There are plenty of options for family fun, and many are low-cost or even free. Of course, be sure what is open and closed before you go out.
Five free ideas:
- Get outside! Check out updates to area parks including the born learning trail at Colbert Park in Savoy; the new structure at Beardsley Park in Champaign; the new Friendship Grove in Urbana; new sculptures at Meadowbrook Park.
- Go out and see the fall color and be sure to bring a camera to get some good fall fun captured. Visit some of our favorite places to see beautiful foliage.
- Visit a free museum space. Museum of the Grand Prairie, Krannert Art Museum, and Anita Purves Nature Center are all open – and free.
- Like to bike? Check out the new Kickapoo Rail Trail for a unique family biking experience.
- Visit a new-to-you library.
Five not free, but cheap idea:
- Go ice skating at the Ice Arena. Lunchtime skate is scheduled from 11:15 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Regular admission fees apply and skate rentals too.
- Go swimming. It’s a School’s Out Swim Day at the Urbana Indoor Aquatic Center.
- This is a great day to visit a pumpkin patch, pick apples, or do a corn maze! Oh – we have a list for that! Hopefully, the weather will cooperate.
- Go to campus for bowling. Take advantage of a Monday early bird special at the Illini Union bowling alley.
- Been wanting to check out the classic Disney princess movies at AMC? Princess and the Frog is playing on Columbus Day.