Halloween isn’t until the 31st (of course), but let the celebrations begin! We’ve got the lowdown on all the family-friendly pre-Halloween/fall events in and around Champaign-Urbana. We will list these chronologically by start date. Looking for trick or treat hours for area communities? Don’t be spooked! We have compiled them in a list of Champaign-Urbana area trick-or-treat hours. Have we missed any events? Let us know – email us: email@example.com, and check back often to see what we’ve added.
Enjoy the season!
Saturday, October 16
- Spookley the Square Pumpkin: Catch this Halloween feel-good movie all month at the Carmike Beverly Cinemas as part of the KidToons series. Shows start at 10 a.m. each Saturday and Sunday in October.
- Pumpkin Palooza! Enjoy fun with pumpkins at the Tolono Public Library, 111. E. Main, from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Children can decorate their own pumpkin and enjoy stories, snacks and games all with a pumpkin-theme! Free.
Monday, October 18
- Pumpking Carving show with Stormin Norman: The Tolono Library (111 E. Main) is excited to welcome Stormin’ Norman and his Pumpkin Carving Expo from at 6:30 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 18. What a “spooktacular” way to celebrate the Fall season. “Stormin’ Norman” puts on a show that is entertaining and educational for the the whole family!
Friday, October 22
- Ghost Train: It’s opening night for this spooky special event at Monticello Railway Museum in Monticello –– all ages can enjoy the train ride through Camp Creek Hollow with a stop at Cemetery Road, but only the brave should check out the Haunted Boxcar! Trains will depart from the museum site only. The fare is $6.00 for ages 2 and up. For younger children, the matinees on Sunday, Oct. 24 are recommended for the train ride and lights-on walk-through of the Haunted Boxcar. Ghost Train dates: October 22, 23, 24, 29, 30 (for times please visit the website).
Saturday, October 23
- Lowe’s Build and Grow Clinic: Flapping Bat! In this edition of Lowes’ bi-monthly free kids’ clinics, they can build a Flapping Bat at 10 a.m. This kit comes with Glow in the Dark stickers. Register here.
- UP Center Family Apples & Pumpkins Party: Kids and adults can dip their own caramel apples, decorate miniature pumpkins, and meet other families with LGBTQA parents. Please RSVP via our Facebook event or e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) by October 20. All ages are welcome. Free; at Garden Pavilion, Meadowbrook Park (Race Street, south of Windsor Road) from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Halloween Boo-tiful Tee Shirt Make-It / Take-It: Head over to Michael’s Crafts in Champaign, where ages 3 and up can get in the Halloween spirit using Tulip fabric paints. Requires purchase of T-shirt. While supplies last; from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Kids Garden Club – Carve Your Jack-O-Lantern: Create your Halloween decoration out of a pumpkin or decorate a ghoulish gourd at the Discovery Garden at Lake of the Woods in Mahomet, 1 to 2:30 p.m. Registration is required. Contact: Ralph Bonati, (217) 586-2612 or email@example.com
- Art Lessons: Make Paper Monsters Join us for an afternoon of fun Halloween art! Katie Marsan, a University of Illinois Art student will lead children to create their own paper monsters by combining two or more their favorite animals. From 2-2:45 p.m. at the Urbana Free Library. FREE.
- Halloween Glow Explosion Make-It/Take-It at Michaels: Ages 3 and up can make creepy eyes with Crayola’s Glow Explosion. FREE. While supplies last, from 2 to 4 p.m.
- Lighted Pumpkin House, Arthur: Come see the hundreds of pumpkins carved by local residents, businesses, and school children. No two pumpkins are alike! Lighted Pumpkin Display is located in downtown Arthur, continues nightly through Halloween.
Sunday, October 24
- Spooky Skate: Come dressed in your Halloween best to a skate that’s truly ghoulish. Mysterious music, Kooky candy and Costume Contest on ice – what better way to celebrate Halloween? Adults $5, children $4, skate rental $2. Appropriate for anyone who can skate. From 1:30 to 4 p.m. at the U of I Ice Arena, 406 E. Armory Ave., Champaign.
Monday, October 25
- Halloween Glow Explosion Make-It / Take-It at Michaels: Ages 3 and up can make creepy eyes with Crayola’s Glow Explosion. Free while supplies last; event goes from 6 to 8 p.m.
Tuesday, October 26
- Quick and Easy Costumes Make-It / Take-It at Michaels: Create a quick and easy costume to complete your Halloween look. Free while supplies last; event goes from 6 to 8 p.m.
Wednesday, October 27
- Extreme Pumpkin Carving: We have the tools, you bring the skills! Come out and have fun carving up pumpkins before Halloween. No experience necessary. For pre-teens and teens only; from 5 to 6 p.m. at the Douglass Branch Library, Champaign.
Thursday, October 28
- Wee Love Music Un-Halloween Special: Come sing songs and play musical games with Miss Teresa to celebrate the fall season at the Urbana Free Library. Two sessions: 10:45 a.m. to 11:15 a.m., and 11:30 to noon.
- Thursdays at the Library: Halloween! There will be delicious surprises in store for any teens joining in the spooky fun from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Part of the “Thursdays @ the Library” series, Champaign Public Library.
- Halloween Party at the Crisis Nursery: For the 5-and-under crowd, free face painting, crafts, trick or treat at the Nursery. Come see what we are all about. From 4:30-6:00 p.m.
- Halloween Mask Make-It Take-It: Need a costume? No problem! Join us for a free mask make-it take-it and turn an ordinary mask into an extraordinary costume. Free; while supplies last, from 6 to 8 p.m. at Michaels in Champaign.
- 25th Annual Halloween Funfest: One of our favorite nights of the year! Head to Marketplace Mall from 6 to 9 p.m. as the Champaign and Urbana Park Districts invite you to join in a FREE
fun-filled evening for little ghosts and goblins! Dress up in your favorite costume and enjoy the Halloween festivities. Games and activities will be held for all and remember to bring a bag to collect all of the Halloween goodies! And for those of you brave enough to take on the haunted house, enter at your own risk! For children 0-11; Must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Friday, October 29
- Celebrate Halloween with a free Scary Face Pancake: On Friday, IHOP is giving away the buttermilk pancake with a whipped topping mouth and strawberry nose. The dish also includes two Oreo cookies and candy corn so kids can create their own Halloween pancake. For kids 12 and under at IHOP restaurants.The event starts at 7 a.m. and ends at 10 p.m. We called to check, and the Green Street location will be participating!
- Halloween party at Bella Bambini: It’s time for Halloween fun during Storytime with Class Act at 10 am. Children will draw, make a craft, enjoy a special snack and parents can get 25% off (see store for details). Costumes are encouraged. 1422 S. Neil St., Champaign
- Mystery at the Museum: The Prompting Theatre will transform the Orpheum Theatre into a family friendly haunted house. The Prompting Theatre is a theater company composed of adults with various mental challenges. Admission $10 adults, $5 children. Proceeds benefit The Orpheum Childen’s Science Museum and The Developmental Services Center. Event continues through the 31st, each day from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- FaceXpressions: Halloween Edition — Want to transform your face into the princess of the ball, or the scariest ghoul around? Come to FaceXpressions: Halloween Edition! Kids will learn about various styles and techniques of face painting. The ghouliest “faceXpression” wins a prize! For school-age kids at the Douglass Branch Library in Champaign from 5 to 6 p.m.
- Trick or Treat Street: Join the Savoy Recreation Center (402 W Graham Drive) for its 5th Annual Trick or Treat Street. Children will enjoy ghoulish music, games, crafts and a child friendly haunted house! Businesses will be on hand decorating their own booth and providing goodies for the participants. From 6 to 8 p.m.; FREE!
- Trunk or Treat: 6 to 7 p.m., Barkstall Elementary School Parking Lot (2201 Hallbeck Dr., Champaign). Free candy and fun! Please keep costumes “little-kid friendly.” Sponsored by the Launch (A campus of First Presbyterian Church)
- Trunk or Treat: 6 to 7 p.m. ,First Presbyterian Church Parking Lot (302 W. Church St., Champaign)). Free candy and fun! Please keep costumes “little-kid friendly.” Sponsored by the Launch (A campus of First Presbyterian Church)
- Halloween Treat Bag Make-It / Take-It: Create a spooky trick or treat bag to complement any Halloween costume. Requires purchase of bag of choice. While supplies last, at Michaels in Champaign from 6 to 8 p.m.
- Great October Days: 6 to 8 p.m., New Horizon United Methodist Church (3002 W. Bloomington Road, Champaign). Games, face painting, contests, door prizes, bounce house, and lots and lots of candy. Wear a costume (please no scary ones!) and bring a friend!
- Halloween at the YMCA: Join us for this FREE, family event! Wear your costume and join us for Halloween happenings! All children must be accompanied by an adult. Friday, October 29th 6-8 p.m, Fitness & Family Center YMCA, 707 N. Country Fair Drive, Champaign
Saturday, October 30
- Market at the Scare: From 9 a.m. to noon, head over to Urbana’s Lincoln Square Mall parking lot as the Market at the Square transforms to Market at the Scare, complete with treats from Common Ground, candy, and possibly some apple cider to celebrate Market at the Scare. Costumes are encouraged; some of the vendors bring candy and cookies to hand out to kids in costumes.
- Duck Tape Cuff Make-It / Take-It: Bring the kids, make a cuff from Duck Tape. Free. While supplies last, from 10 a.m. to noon.
- Annual Halloween Spooktacular: Come to the Champaign Borders dressed in your Halloween costume for its Annual Spooktacular Kids Event! Best for ages 3 to 8, from 11 a.m. to noon.
- Zahn Learning Center Open Hours at the Spurlock Museum: Decorate a sugar skull with icing and take it home to celebrate the Day of the Dead! They will have pre-made molded skulls ready for icing, plus you can make a fresh one to take home. This activity will be happening outside the front entrance of the museum, rain or shine. $2 suggested donation. From 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Geoffrey’s Halloween Parade Featuring Crayola!: Head to the Champaign Toys”R”Us where kids can join Geoffrey for a Halloween parade, every hour on the half hour, and participate in exciting activities and giveaways including a reusable Trick”R”Treat bag. Kids will have the opportunity to sign Geoffrey’s Safety Pledge, a checklist with key tips for parents to review with their children before trick-or-treating. From noon to 3 p.m.
- Meijer Halloween Fun Factory In-Store Event: Kids are invited to come in costume and trick or treat at all Meijer locations from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Kids can sample Slimy Snacks, enjoy spooky activities and FREE giveaways! (while supplies last)
- Halloween Face Painting at Michaels: Have the kids’ faces painted. Free. While supplies last, from noon to 1:30 p.m.
- Downtown Champaign Trick or Treating: Participating downtown Champaign businesses will welcome trick-or-treaters from noon to 6 p.m.
- Halloween Parade at Michaels in Champaign: Bring the kids to show off their costumes. Free, from 1:30 to 2 p.m.
- Gruesome, Gory, and Ghastly Ghosts and Ghouls: This family event at the Spurlock Museum in Urbana features multicultural ghost stories told in the Museum’s galleries. The stories will be appropriate for children grades K–5. The children will receive bags of candy to start their trick-or-treating off right. $5 per person; from 2 to 3:30 p.m.
- Nightmare on Grove Street: Come out to Douglass Park for our fun fall festival. Enjoy good fun, games, and weather permitting, a hay ride around Douglass Park. Dare to enter the Haunted Center of Screams in the Douglass Community Center. FREE! For children ages 3 to 11; from 3 to 6 p.m.
- Class Act Halloween Party: A kids party featuring games, spooky crafts, costumes, face painting, and cookie decorating with Cakes on Walnut. The BowSheep moms will be there with Halloween bows in tow. From 5 to 7 p.m. at Class Act Interactive, 114 S. Neil, Champaign
Sunday, October 31
- It’s Halloween!: Can’t wait for trick-or-treating? Put on your costume and pop in for spooky stories, songs, and crafts at the Urbana Free Library from 2 to 3 p.m.
- “Flash Mob” Performance Class- “Thriller”: We will create a dance based on the “Thriller” video to be performed in Urbana or Champaign (Shhhh…Location and time to- be-not-announced). To make the piece, we will learn dances, play, share stories, and sing, led by Kate Insolia, Amara “Flash Mob” dance teacher and performance artist. Participants are asked to wear a scary costume – we will provide face paint. Appropriate for all ages. Cost: $12 per person, 10% discount for Amara members. From 1 to 3 p.m., Amara Yoga & Arts, 300 S. Broadway, Urbana.
- Trick or Treat!: Check out the times for your community.Monday, November 1
- Trick or Treat TangerStyle: Calling all ghosts, goblins, ghouls, princesses and super-heroes! Join us for Trick or Treat TangerStyle Monday, November 1 from 5 – 7 p.m at the Tanger Outlets in Tuscola. Trick or Treating at Tanger is a fun, safe way to celebrate Halloween for children 12 and under. For more information call Tanger in Tuscola at 866.665.8684 or 217.253.2282.